Issue 62

Below C-Level Strategy
Sept. 9, 2009 - By: John Spence
62 “The CEO and her senior management team have just come back from a three-day offsite in Palm Beach with the new 'global strategy' and now it's your job as a business-line or mid-level manager to figure out how to take these lofty ideas and long-term plans and build an organization to effectively implement them in the real world. Or, you're a small business owner/m ...


Change Master: Why Adapting is the Most Crucial Skill You’ll Ever
Sept. 9, 2009 - By: M.J. Ryan
62 “In a very real way, what is being asked of us now is no more or less than to become consciously aligned with what life has always required on this planet. In 1956, the father of stress research, Hans Selye wrote in his seminal work, The Stress of Life, 'Life is largely a process of adaptation to the circumstances in whic ...


The Importance of Discovering Your Plan B
Sept. 9, 2009 - By: John Mullins & Randy Komisar
62 "If the founders of Google, Starbucks, or PayPal had stuck to their original business plans, we’d likely never have heard of them. Instead, they made radical changes to their initial models, became household names, and delivered huge returns for their founders and investors. How did they get from their Plan A to a business model ...


Green Design with Life Cycle in Mind
Sept. 9, 2009 - By: Kimi Ceridon
62 “It is not impossible to integrate sustainability into early stages of design. Cradle-to-grave environmental impact analysis methods are rarely used as a metric during product development. In early stages of a project, companies measure feasibility according to money, performance and time metrics. Sustainability is commonly measured at a design cycl ...



Issue 61

F2 | Firefly Manifesto: Remixed
Aug. 12, 2009 - By: Jonathan Fields
61 “Try this career choice standard on for size. Will this choice allow me to: Spend the greatest amount of time Absorbed in activities and relationships that fill me up While surrounding myself with people I cannot get enough of, and Earning enough to live comfortably in the world? It sounds so simple. This is the standard I’ve used to gui ...


The Hazards of Leading Culture Change
Aug. 12, 2009 - By: Chip R. Bell & John R. Patterson
61 "When great starts have poor endings, it can leave change pioneers disappointed, hard working organizers disheartened, and skeptics with proof they were correct all along. It makes the next initiative more challenging to launch and the next set of resistors more defiant. However, without needed change the organization risks losing ...


Quit Managing Your Time… and Start Managing Your Attention
Aug. 12, 2009 - By: Lee J. Colan & David Cottrell
61 “The myth of time management never dies. Many people enroll in 'time management' classes and learn techniques like making to-do lists. That’s fine. Lists can be useful, even satisfying. It’s great to experience that rush—Ahhhh!—as we check something off the list. However, by the end of the day, or the ...


Your Butt’s in the Wrong Seat: A Manifesto for Public Transportation
Aug. 12, 2009 - By: Ryan Barton
61 “It’s not sexy. It’s not tracking as a Twitter trend. And it’s not a YouTube sensation. In fact, by current reputation, it’s dirty, it (sometimes) smells, it forces you to interact with people you don’t know, it’s slow, and inconvenient. But it shouldn’t be. Or at least, it shouldn’t be positi ...


Habitudes in the Classroom: Teaching the Habits and Attitudes Our Students Need in the 21st Century
Aug. 12, 2009 - By: Angela Maiers
61 “Education shouldn’t be about adding more to our lists of HAVE’s, DO’s , and BE’s, but rather thinking outside the lines, intentionally about the BE’s, DO’s, and HAVE’s that matter most. The 21st century world needs learners to BE critical, BE creative, and BE strategic. ...


Design for the Other 90%
Aug. 12, 2009 - By: Paul Polak
61 “Ninety percent of the world’s designers spend all their time working on solutions to the problems of the richest 10 percent of the world’s customers. A revolution in design is needed to reverse this silly ratio and reach the other 90 percent. In my book, Out of Poverty, I talk about how this can be done. I pull stories from some of the 17 million people ...




Search manifestos:
« Using the Issue Browser
Scroll with arrow keys, mousewheel or click on a thumbnail to preview each manifesto in this issue.

Recent Popular Manifestos



View all




TWITTER